Saturday, June 27, 2009

a summer challenge

My two weeks at home has led me realize how shitty my piano skills have gotten over the years from not practicing. I'd began taking piano lessons when I was 4 and played until the 7th grade, then decided to take up the drums & percussion instead. Although I still love the drums, I now wish I'd never stopped with piano lessons.... but what's been done has been done. 

It's weird coming back to the instrument after having taken so many music classes in college-- it's like I have a newfound understanding/appreciation of everything I had learned to play in the past, now that I actually have a picture of where some of this music lies in terms of cultural and historical context. Before, it had seemed like practicing was just another chore to be done-- "I have no idea what this name means or when this was written. And I don't really care. Eyes, here are some pages of paper. Fingers, play these notes as they are written." If only I had understood the significance of these things when I was younger... ignorance isn't really bliss.

Anyway, I was watching a block of music videos from the year 1998 on FUSE earlier this week (the station has this awesome program called Video Yearbook), when I came up with a mini-project for myself to pursue over the summer. For fun, I will be creating piano arrangements of pop songs from the late 1990s. "Why these songs?" one might ask. Well, my friends, it's because these are the songs I loved the most during my childhood/preteen years, and know the most intimately through the countless hours I'd spent listening to them on my poor Walkman back junior high. (My mixtapes were the best; I'd record stuff off of the radio and decorate the cassette labels with stickers and elaborate doodles!) The reason I've decided to do such an exercise/project is to practice my listening and dictation skills, and also because I've never tried to write anything "poppy" before. (I haven't written very much at all, really-- I've done a couple of experimental things and then some plays on exercises, but nothing I'd ever let another human being ever see/hear.) I think this could be fun practice, and might also help if I ever decide to start a band and need to be able to create cover arrangements, or something of my own with a "poppier" feel.

As of right now, I'm not sure if I will post any of the progress I make with this project. Maybe once I figure out how to notate music on the computer, I will... ;)
------------------------------------
In other news, I fly back to San Diego later today. I am seriously debating whether or not to bring my brother's graduation gown back with me... I'm extremely tempted to dress up for the opening of the new Harry Potter movie. :X

I've never dressed up for a movie premier before, but kind of want to at least once in my life, for the hell of it. The only problem is that I'd probably have to dress up as stupid Cho Chang because she's the only Asian person in the books. Ugh.

No comments: