How this system works:
- Take the money value you spent on the item
- Divide it by the number of times you've worn it
- Make this calculation for all of the items you are wearing at that moment, and sum the values to get the "daily worth" of your outfit for that day
- Lower numbers are better than higher numbers.
If the value seems reasonable to you for how that particular outfit makes you feel and looks, great. If the number seems too high, then maybe you should try to wear the item(s) in question more often, and in combination with other pieces of your wardrobe to get a better score.
So, for example, if I spend $40 on a pair of jeans, and have worn them about twice a week, every week, since January (and it is now the end of September), the calculation I would make in my head for the "daily value" of this pair of pants would be:
$40 / [9 months x (4 weeks/1 month) x (2 days/1 week)] = $0.56/day
If the top I'm wearing today originally cost me $18 and has been worn once every three weeks over the last 4 months, the worth of it today about be:
$18 / [4 months x (4 weeks/1 month) x (1 day/3 weeks)] = $3.38/day
And so on (undies, shoes, purse, accessories). In doing this, I've found that most of my more "casual" outfits come out to be under $5. Not a bad deal. I wouldn't mind paying $5 to be dressed each day.
The only problem with this system is that it only works in retrospect... but at the same time, a part of me feels that it isn't completely useless because at least it helps me feel a little less guilty about my spending...?
--------------------------
I went to the mall yesterday to watch a movie with a friend. I got there a little early so that I could do some "browsing." I had originally meant to find a business suit, so that I could have a decent set of professional-looking attire for, say, any job interviews I may have over the next few months...
However, I got a little distracted by the other stores I saw along the way to Macy's, and $200 later, I found myself with casual clothes that I would actually consider "cute" AND "current." This is kind of a huge deal to me, as unexpected as it may seem. (If you'd ask any of my close friends, they'll probably tell you that I'm not into fashion very much/am kind of oblivious. :-/) But... in going through my closet last week, I came to realize that a good portion of my clothes are from at least senior year of high school... which was half a decade ago. I was sixteen, seventeen then. A lot has happened since my high school days. I am now on the verge of turning twenty-two, and it's kind of sad that I still get mistaken as a high schooler from time to time. Also, when I go home, people oftentimes think that my little brother (who is eighteen) is my older brother, or that we are twins.
Not that I want to look old, but maybe just to have my clothing be a little more age-appropriate. I want my appearance to reflect who I am now, versus who I may have been many years ago. Moreover, at this moment in my life, if people think that you're younger than you actually are, it equates being less respected in professional settings/people don't take you as seriously, because [subconsciously?] to them, you're "just a kid."
I suppose it's about time that I start acting and looking my age.
Egads.
Twenty-two, here I come...?
1 comment:
hmm...maybe i should also be more concern with my appearance, since most people still take me like a 13 or 15 yrs old kid, haha
Post a Comment