Sunday, October 4, 2009

Subscriptions

Today, I got year-long subscriptions to both Scientific American and WIRED magazines. 

The Scientific American subscription was mainly out of nerdom... whereas the Wired subscription was ordered because I've decided that it is my new favorite magazine.  I cannot stress enough how much I LOVE this magazine.

WIRED is probably one of the best-written publications I've read in years; the first time I'd ever seen the magazine was when I picked up an issue at the bookstore last month, and I thoroughly enjoyed every! single! word! inked between (and on!) its covers. It was refreshing: Substance! Science! Culture! Social Commentary! Flawless Editing! Intrigue! Humour!  All combined in one place, cohesively presented in an aesthetically-appealing manner!  

Besides its content, I adore the feel and look of the magazine's cover; whoever decided to use that textured matte paper was absolute genius!  Furthermore, I love reading things in physical print, to be able to touch and turn the pages as I please (no annoying loading bars or frustrating navigation menus!), to hear the crinkling of the paper as I take in the smell of the ink, to appreciate how the legibility of the pages rely on environmental, tangible(!) factors of lighting, shadow, and reflections.  

The 12-issue subscription cost $10, whereas each store-bought issue costs about $6.  

I can't wait for the periodicals to begin rolling in!!!

3 comments:

adámas.boy said...

wow! $10 for a year long subscription? that is quite a deal!

Unknown said...

My favorite issue of WIRED was the J.J. Abrams issue back in April/May. He was a guest editor and designed every page to feature mysterious items so that you'd have to scour the entire issue to figure out puzzles.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/17-05/mf_jjessay

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/arts/television/21wire.html

http://gizmodo.com/5220590/the-jj-abrams-issue-of-wired

useful.idiot. said...

thanks for the links!