Friday, December 18, 2009

gmail theme: "tree"

I've found that this theme changes itself to immitate the weather happening outside... while I'm in San Diego. However, I'm in Fremont right now (so, my IP address should have changed accordingly, right?), and my gmail theme shows that it's raining... but it isn't raining here. Curiosity got to me, and so I texted my roommate who is still in San Diego to ask her if it's currently raining down there. She said, "There's not a cloud in sight."

Weird. I wonder where gmail thinks I am...

WHY DOES THIS MATTER TO ME?
Sometimes, I wish I could turn off my brain from time to time; I seem to have too many thoughts nowadays. My friends even tell me so; it's like I have a thousand thoughts for every thought a "normal" person would have.

Anyway, as mentioned above, I am finally back at home in the Bay for break. I have the world's shittiest cell phone and internet service here. This means, as is observed every year, that I will now have a chance to become less technology-dependent, an ailment that had been imposed upon me by UCSD life....

I used to rarely use the internet/would only check my e-mail every two weeks or so, prior to starting college... This was something I would eventually learn to be a "mistake" after attending my first college class, where I'd missed an important e-mail the professor had sent (regarding HOMEWORK) only a half an hour before lecture began. At the time, this was slightly mortifying/traumatizing to my super-OCD, perfectionist 17-year-old self. So then, I began using the Internet on a regular basis.

I'd also never used text messaging until my Junior Year of college, where I was dating a guy who would always send text messages and wondered why I'd never sent any back. This was mainly due to me not knowing what the little envelope symbol on my phone screen meant, or that my phone was capable of receiving/sending messages; I'd thought text messages were only possible on phones with full alphabet "keyboards." Anyway, the guy would be seriously offended at my "neglect" to answer my text messages, and interpreted this as me not liking him very much, despite my explanation. The same happened with another guy I dated after him, and then a couple of my roommates who kept thinking that I was pissed at them for not texting them back; I began feeling bad for making people feel that I was so "out of touch" with them, so I finally began using text messaging. I suppose it's now become a common/generally preferred[?] alternative to making calls or talking in real-time, seeing as to how Blackberries and iPhones/keyboard-enabled devices geared towards texting & text-based communication seem to be dominating the cell phone market nowadays. [I do not have one of these phones.]

Well, I have to go now. When I have a good evening to kill, I'll start writing about the last couple of weeks of college. Although, it feels that as time passes, the intense thoughts and emotions that had arisen during these weeks are slowly dissipating... and it's getting more difficult for me to concentrate such feelings into coherent words.

1 comment:

Andrew Griffin said...

It's probably set to use your locale. Try changing it in google.