Saturday, December 5, 2009

And... it suddenly clicks

As the reality of applying for graduate schools sets in, I find myself feeling incredibly overwhelmed. Mentally exhausted, emotionally numbed. Lost. Undecided. Discouraged and disheartened. Terrified out of my mind.

And worst of all, these thoughts make me feel physically ill.

I feel like I am going to vomit. My palms get clammy and I feel dizzy.

How is one supposed to concentrate with such distractions?!

========
Goals for the coming months:
-Study for the GRE. gotta ace that shit.
-Work on my personal statement(s). sum up the essence of my livelihood and ambitions in 1200 words or less! (some schools want no more than 600 words... d'oh!)
-Collect letters of recommendation. now that i know what kind of a degree i want, i can finally tell them of my future plans!
-Get to know more science professors. so far i have one VERY strong science recommendation, and two strong employer recommenders. i have other professors i could ask for letters/have offered, but they are all from fields unrelated to the sciences. :-/ -the schools I'm looking at want three letters of rec, total. One can be from an employer, two must be from former professors.
-Possibly enroll in junior college science classes and get to know professors there. finally getting a chance to be in a science class with less than 300 people would be a definite plus!
-Get a job in a local research lab, in addition to the lab job I am planning on returning to after winter break. the research lab thing will probably be on a voluntary status, due to the massive willingly "free" biology student workforce in the area.
-Learn to cook more than basic dishes.
-Exercise regularly.

How had I imagined, even for the slightest bit, that I'd be able to sacrifice precious time on anything else right now?!

3 comments:

KurtoWango said...

where are you planning to apply for grad school? what field?

the last 2 line reminds me of a song "24" by Jem, haha

useful.idiot. said...

i've been looking mostly into Public Health schools. there's an interesting program at Boston University that specializes in Microbiology & Infectious Disease, which is something I'd want to do. Also, GWU has a decent school of PH, as well as one of the nation's top programs in forensics (so maybe i'd be able to take some of those classes on the side, if i like). there are only 4 accredited PH schools in cali, and I don't really think i would like living in LA (ucla) or SD anymore (sdsu). meh. but that's just what i'm thinking now. going out of state wouldn't be the most practical choice, but it's something i'd like to do for a few years, at least.

Ian said...

yeah boston.