Friday, February 19, 2010

my mom wants me to pretty up

Her not-so-subtle ways of telling me this include (besides telling me to my face) requesting that I subscribe to some fashion/beauty magazines (she even offered to pay) and giving me a set of make up for Christmas when I passed on the mags offer... :/

Perhaps some of her influence, in this regard, has finally rubbed off on me... as I've just made the following purchases:
Heartbreaker Liquid Liner Pen by Smashbox $24
... I really need to curb my spending. :[   

IN OTHER NEWS (not really), I managed to induce a couple of really awkward moments at work today. :/
  1. My supervisor was weirded out when she caught me singing in Latin--and quite poorly, at that :X-- as she walked into the lab in which I was working. We both tried to play it off as if nothing had happened, but I will never forget the concerned look on her face as she paused awkwardly in the lab doorway. :/
  2. I accidentally called out one my male coworkers on his wearing a women's perfume scent.  i was at my work station when he came into the room. It was just the two of us in there, but as soon as he entered, the entire room smelled really good. At first I'd thought maybe it was his shampoo's scent, since it had a very marked warm fruity-floral presence, but then decided that, judging from the strength & complexity of the smell, it must've been some sort of cologne or a combination of hair product? So I asked what scent he was wearing because it had smelled SO good, and I honestly wanted to know.  He thought about his answer for a few long seconds, and finally said, w/much hesitance, that it was Dirty English by Juicy Couture (the brand's new "male" scent). He then made an unusually abrupt exit and didn't come back to pick up his stuff until I was out at my 30-min lunch.  I hadn't understood why he was acting so oddly. When I was shopping at ULTA later in the day, I was curious to see how Juicy's "female" scents smelled, since their men's scent had smelled so good. It was then that I'd discovered my coworker had been wearing Juicy's Juicy Couture women's scent... which isn't that big of a deal at all (hell, i'd half gone into the store w/the intention of purchasing the supposed "men's" fragrance for myself), but i guess maybe he was kind of embarrassed that somebody might figure it out/maybe he'd thought i'd known the whole time and was just trying to test him? :-/ I didn't end up buying the perfume because it was kind of expensive and I'd already spent past my shopping limit, but before I left the store, I tried a little on the inside of my wrist to test how it would work with my body's chemistry (as no perfume will ever smell the same on two people), the longevity of the scent (it's an eau de perfume, meaning it's got a higher concentration of aromatic oils/hasn't been watered-down and should thus last longer), and whether the fragrance's base notes would be as flattering as its top notes. I'd have to say: this perfume is now a clear winner of my "Top Fragrances" List!!! ♥ 

1 comment:

KurtoWango said...

haha, you're already pretty! anymore attempt to "pretty up" might be excessive, haha