Wednesday, March 10, 2010

hendrix

This morning at work, I was blasting A Hard Day's Night on the lab music player, when one of the doctors came in.  When he heard my music, he'd thought it had belonged to somebody else and asked why I was listening to "this old stuff."  It was "stuff" he'd listened to back when he was in middle school.  I told him I listen to it because it's damn good.

He said I looked deceivingly young for a 50, 60 year-old.
And then he went on and on about Smokey Robinson.

One of my other coworkers overheard bits of our conversation, and asked us what we were talking about.  The doctor guy told her that we were talking about The Beatles, and, all of a sudden, my coworker instantaneously blurted out she'd thought Paul was the cutest when she was young, and that people went "absolutely insane" over the Fab Four.  She then went on to tell about how, when she was only fifteen, she begged her mom for weeks to let her see The Monkees perform live in concert.  Her mother eventually caved in, and she was thrilled to finally be allowed to attend a show.  That night, The Monkees were the opening act for "some guy" named Jimi Hendrix. JIMI fucking HENDRIX. She said it was the first time they'd seen or heard of the guy, and that she and her friends were completely astonished and bewildered by his "bizarre" performance style.  They'd thought he was absolutely insane, and his show left them confused and speechless.  They hadn't realized, at the time, that they'd be witnessing one of the rock history's most legendary icons.
They had only gone to see The Monkees...

:::: EDIT ::::
Sorry, I'd gotten the story mixed around.  -Hendrix was the opening act... for The Monkees. HOLY DAMN.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My weed dealer told me that Hendrix would trip out on acid on stage. That headband he wears is where he stores the drugs so that it enters his pores and into his bloodstream.