Tuesday, March 16, 2010

ruined

It's not the same. TRYING to watch a show after someone has ruined its "surprises" for you.

When one of my friends found out I'd started watching Dexter, she said she's only seen one episode of the series--it was a flashback episode from the fourth season, she thinks.  She said it summed up "all of the big twists and turns" that had happened in the earlier seasons up to that episode, and began listing what she'd seen because she wanted to know where I was in the show's trajectory.  I told her I'd only seen the first season and I didn't want to know ANYTHING about the upcoming seasons until I get to them, and asked if she could stop talking about the show because it's really exciting right now as it is, and if she really wants to know what happens in the first season, she should try to watch the show sometime.

Instead of backing down, she said that everything from the seasons sum up together in the episode she'd seen, and continued asking questions about whether I'd seen or heard anything about the "_____ killer" who kills their victims by _______, or whether I'd heard of the _______ or have seen _________ happen to certain characters.  I told her to stop talking about it, since the names and her descriptions of these villains kind of really gave away what they did/what would come next in the show.  She laughed me off and kept telling me about what she'd seen.  I covered my ears and (half joking/half NOT) began hollering to drown her out, but as soon as I took my hands off my ears, she continued with her questions because she was so curious to know more about the show.  And she thought my reaction was amusing.

It was driving me absolutely nuts.

>:(
.....................................................
I tried to watch the first episode of Season 2 today, and have been really struggling to get through it.  I mean, it's probably a decent episode in itself, but now that my mind has been polluted with a plethora of visualizations of the scenes my friend had described to me, I can't concentrate on what I'm watching.  It's like, there's very little drive left in me to watch the series anymore.  Where has the excitement gone?  It's no longer interesting, there is nothing left to figure out, there is no more challenge, thus, I am bored.  I tried to stop my brain from remembering anything she'd said, but, alas, my brain, it seems, does not want to cooperate.

Also, my brain automatically reject most things exhibiting the slightest hint of predictability. And now, since there isn't anything really big left to PREDICT (it is all now certainty), there is very little reason left to watch what was once an oh-so-wondrous! show.


It's a shame.  It's a real shame.

I had loved what I'd seen in Season 1.
I think I would've really enjoyed this series.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm incredibly bummed out about this.  Slightly frustrated, too.  I don't really watch much TV at all nowadays, partly due to the lack of time, but mostly due to a lack of interest.  This is the first series I've gotten immersed into in ages.

I guess now I'll just have plenty of time to myself to

cook.


                                   and exercise.



and......




clean? 


*shrug & looooooong siiiiiiiiiiigh*

:(

========== EDIT ===========
So.... i forced myself to sit through the rest of Episode 1.  And then Episode 2, for good measure.  It wasn't the easiest thing to do.  But somewhere in the second half of Episode 2, I felt my obsession with the show ignite once again.

All is well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a damn shame. I hate people who spoil tv shows. The worst is when they don't know they're doing it and have no remorse. What....a....travesty.

Maybe you should skip season 2 and 3? Go straight for season 4? Has four been spoiled yet? Because I watched season 4 first and it was absolutely amazing to me. Although, that season did spoil who the ice truck killer was. Somewhere in dialogue they talked about Rudy. Thus when I went to watch season 1, half the excitement was gone.