Thursday, March 25, 2010

As recent events unfold...

I need to learn how to be financially self reliant.

Pronto.

By mid-June, at least.

Monthly Expenditures, in a nutshell:
-Rent ($550/month)
-Utilities ($40ish/month)
-Food (~$70/week, meaning $280/month)
-Gas (~$160/month, my car gets crap milage, about 17mpg)
-Health Insurance (~$400/month?)
-Car Insurance (no idea how much this is supposed to be per month? my parents usually cover it :/)
-Cell Phone Service (not sure how much this costs per month... i'm guessing ~$35?)
-Student Loans ($125/month)

Total, w/out cost of Car Insurance: $1380/month

I should take better care of my money.
And start trying to manage or keep track of it somehow.
Which, one would hope, shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish in this day and age.
Hopefully my current internship-job will eventually turn into something more substantial than a simple 6-month stint, and I will start getting paid a real salary & get health coverage by the end of this summer...

:O

I also think I'll have to hold off grad school plans, for another few years, at least.  Apps are way too expensive to deal with anytime soon (as are rec letter filing services), taking the GRE/prep money is another lump of cash that could be better spent elsewhere at this point.  Also, i had been saving up to do some traveling, FINALLY (either New Zealand, Western Europe, or a huge roadtrip through Canada), but i guess those plans, too, will have to be postponed.... indefinitely. :[

When is the government going to start covering my healthcare???
-I should probably find an official copy of the bill to read over, or something. :/

======EDIT======
My share of car insurance, per month, should be about $100 per month, making my total monthly spending ~$1480/month.

2 comments:

love is not single player said...

i recommend Quicken for making pie charts of all your expenditures by scanning your credit card and bank account history.

the best and most effective invasion of privacy ever ♥

Ryan Liu said...

Haha, wow, your monthly expenditure is greater than mine. But the traveling plan is awesome though, always wanted to do it too.