I've been sick for the past 4-5 days, and my voice has completely escaped me.
As a result, I've been given the chance to realize how oddly people react when they realize you're unable to speak. For some reason, most feel inclined to whisper back AT you, as if there is also something wrong with their voices, or as if your muteness has somehow enhanced your hearing(?). It's entertaining... and slightly confusing.
Contrastingly, others will act as if your muteness also translates into deafness. Just yesterday, for example, I asked one of my friends a question, and she decided to write her response to me via pen and paper, forgetting that my lack of speaking ability doesn't equate a lack of hearing ability. She hadn't realized the glitch in her logic until I tapped her on the shoulder and pointed at my ears to signify that yes, my ears can still hear.
People are strange.
I'm hoping to get my voice back within the next couple of days. I've decided that if I don't see any signs of improvement by Wednesday, I'm going to have my roommate help me schedule a doctor's appointment. Since it's something that is a little more of a "personal" manner, my initial instinct was to ask my parents to help me w/ making an appointment, but whenever I've tried to speak with them with my raspy-whispery non-voice, they hang up on me because they are unable to contain their laughter at the incomprehensible sounds they hear. :(
Everyone keeps telling me to drink plenty of tea, to "help" my throat and cold get "better." I have been drinking loads of tea, but to no avail-- my voice isn't getting any better, and now I have to pee nonstop!
No comments:
Post a Comment