Thursday, July 28, 2011

Progress

I've been meaning to write more. And more often.  But life has been kind of busy, things keep coming up, and I'm left with very little time to devote to writing... which I miss.  A lot.  I think my writing skills may have peaked during my Junior year of High School... and then once more during my Junior year of college.     I guess it looks like my writing skills peak every four years or so.  However, something tells me that it's just gonna go downhill from here, with no one/nothing to keep my writing chops on the edge of their seats.  Meh.

Anyway, I am proud to say that I've made some progress on the reading list I made a while back.
  • After Many a Summer - Aldous Huxley
  • Island - Aldous Huxley
  • American Ways: A Guide for Foreigners in the United States - Gary Althen
  • Of Human Bondage - Somerset Maugham
  • The Namesake - Jhumpa Lahiri 
  • Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
  • Lord of the Flies - William Golding
  • Her-2: The Making of Herceptin, a Revolutionary Treatment for Breast Cancer - Robert Bazell
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oliver Wilde
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
  • Microserfs - Douglas Coupland (I will finish this book... someday. NEVAR.)
  • Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer (all of them)
  • The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot
Egads, now that it's been visualized in the form of an actual list, that wasn't as much "progress" as I'd originally anticipated. :-/  Whoops.  I suppose that stopping to read the Hunger Games series (that's the title of the first book of the series, anyway) was kind of a distraction, for a bit.  A dent of a distraction, as they're all pretty quick and easy to get through, but a distraction, nonetheless.  (They're incredibly addicting, yarghhh!!)


Oh, that reminds me: being the sci-fi geek that I am, I am adding Ender's Game to my list of to-read books.

On another note, I've been trying to teach myself how to stitch-- as in, cross-stitching and embroidery! So I may know how to kind of decorate/personalize pillowcases n' stuff for those "special" folks in my life. 

I guess I've decided to try and learn a bunch of stuff I never got around to learning/ was never taught while in school. Which seems to be, well, A LOT.  Heh.  I needz me some skillllz

1 comment:

KurtoWango said...

Ender's Game is a great read! Totally recommend it!