Saturday, September 17, 2011

I've been going to the local Japanese & Korean super markets a lot over the past few weeks.  The food prices are comparable or cheaper to what they have at Ralph's/Vons/Trader Joe's, but there is more variety.  (I'd go to the Chinese supermarket (99 Ranch), but that parking lot is hell and there aren't ever any free spots!)  I think most Asian cultures share a similar taste palette, similar dishes, similar kind of sensibility when it comes to food, so even though I'm not Japanese or Korean, the majority of what they sell at these markets is familiar to me  It's not really a huge "culture shock" stepping into any of these markets, and it's pretty rare to find something that I've never seen, had, or heard of before.

I'm not really in a "writing" mood right now.  Can't you tell?

Anyway, one huge difference between traditional American markets and Asian markets is that Asians have a lot of fish-based or rice-based snacks.  As in, dried cuttlefish/ squid/ anchovies and rice crackers wrapped in seaweed.  I can almost guarantee you that if you were to walk into any Korean/ Japanese/ Chinese/ Filipino/ Malaysian/ Vietnamese/etc. grocery store, you're bound find these same basic snacks in one of its aisles.  Along with American snacks, such as potato chips and the like.

Also, sweet sticky rice-based desserts are another common type food you'll find.


..... Hey, my computer game has finally finished loading!

Post-grad life has turned me into even more of a nerd than ever.  Most of the friends I usually hang out with are out of town this weekend... so I found myself staying up late last night, playing Starcraft, of all things. And now, there is a stack of comic books on my desk, which I just burned through today.  What is happening

OK.  No more blogging for now.   Must play game.

No comments: