I moved! From the place at which I've resided for the past four and a half years! It's kind of surreal to sit in my new living room and realize that I now live here. I no longer live at the other place which had been my home away from home for so long. That, after having learned all the small intricacies and peculiarities of the old place through all of these years, that none of that learned information applies to my life anymore.
I didn't move very far, I'm still in the same city and all, but my commute time to work hasn't changed very much and I am even closer to my usual hangouts than I had been before! Also, now I have my own room and also my own bathroom! And there is a backyard!... in which I can garden and plant fruits & veggies!
Also, I now live with other people who are "in the same boat" as me... they're all recent grads (have graduated 1-3 years from college, still wondering whether grad school would be a good next step from here) and are all working a regular 40 hours a week, normal hours, slaving away at jobs that may not be our ultimate dream jobs but that are in fields related to what we might hope to work in one day and that provide us with a paycheck and actual health benefits. I live with other "young adults"! Not that they're necessarily older in age than my old roommates, but they're in a different mindset, living a similar lifestyle to mine (no questions about why I need to sleep before 1am, no questions about why I am so tired at 4 in the afternoon, after having started my workday at 7... we can all empathize with each other), which similar thoughts and worries to preoccupy our minds (we can share and relate to each other!).
Another big difference between this place and the old place is that it is a co-ed residence, meaning, I have both male and female housemates. It gives the living space a different dynamic than the old place, which was always all girls. This living space seems like it is going to be a little more laid-back, and everyone seems to be better at communicating with each other/tackling any issues directly, rather than letting negative sentiments silently boil up internally over time. (Less cattiness or passive aggressiveness, not that there was ever much at the old place... but this new place just seems to have a much more "mature" feel to it, i guess?) It truly feels like I've now gone from being lumped in "the college-aged group" and am now a member of the "young adult" demographic.
This is all pretty neat.
No comments:
Post a Comment