Last night, I saw my very first hip-hop dance competition, FUSION X. The competition has been hosted by UCSD for the past 9 years, and has recently gained popularity due to MTV's show, America's Best Dance Crew. The event from 6pm-11pm, and featured dance crews from various part of the state, as well as university teams (mostly UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Berkeley, and UCSD). The event was partially presented as a "cultural awareness" night, celebrating Asian Americans and their involvement with the hip-hop scene.I am not very into hip-hop music or dance, so I didn't really understand everything the host said (he threw out a bunch of terms I've never heard before in my life). Although, that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the show... the reason I'd went at all was because I wanted to get a little more exposure to hip-hop culture, since I don't really know much about it. My roommates all LOVE hip-hop and dancing, and I felt a little tired of not being able to connect with them at all over music. :-/
A few of the crews' routines really stood out in comparison to the others:
I liked the music that ACA Hip Hop (from UCLA) used... it was kind of creepy and very unique. The crew did a vampire-themed dance to the music. NSU Modern (also from UCLA) had a jungle-themed dance, attire, and music. NSU probably had the cleanest dance moves, too (they weren't sloppy). The Poreotics consisted of only 5 guys (the rest of the crews had like 30 people or more), and they did some pop-lock routine. It was weird because they looked a LOT better on camera (on the projector screen) than they did on stage. Girls and Boys with Short Hair had a very unique routine; it had less "pumping" than most of the other acts, and was more graceful and sweet instead of having a "BAM, we are HERE" type of an impact.
Sorry I can't really write much right now, I am kind of in the middle of writing a lab report. Heh.
The event's YouTube site will be featuring videos later this week of Sunday's performances: http://www.youtube.com/user/fusionhiphop.
A few of the crews' routines really stood out in comparison to the others:
I liked the music that ACA Hip Hop (from UCLA) used... it was kind of creepy and very unique. The crew did a vampire-themed dance to the music. NSU Modern (also from UCLA) had a jungle-themed dance, attire, and music. NSU probably had the cleanest dance moves, too (they weren't sloppy). The Poreotics consisted of only 5 guys (the rest of the crews had like 30 people or more), and they did some pop-lock routine. It was weird because they looked a LOT better on camera (on the projector screen) than they did on stage. Girls and Boys with Short Hair had a very unique routine; it had less "pumping" than most of the other acts, and was more graceful and sweet instead of having a "BAM, we are HERE" type of an impact.
Sorry I can't really write much right now, I am kind of in the middle of writing a lab report. Heh.
The event's YouTube site will be featuring videos later this week of Sunday's performances: http://www.youtube.com/user/fusionhiphop.
No comments:
Post a Comment